Tuesday, December 16, 2008



I received my latest issue of Handwoven Magazine in the mail yesterday, and found Syne Mitchell's column Weaving the Web, the title this issue is Blog Your Weaving. Syne gave a number of reasons for creating a Blog, and the idea stuck in my head, so much I didn't sleep the entire night. I was so tempted to get up and work at 4am, but I held off, and now, with the blog created, I decided this would be a good opportunity to cronical my creative journey with 6 new garments, portions of which have already been started, I'll outline what I have so far in later blogs, and hopefully inspire someone else to just jump in head first and create with what's at hand.
The first project is what to do with yardage I wove for the Tampa Convergence, where it hung in the yardage exhibit. I have 4 1/2 yards of 25" width, very drapey rayon and silk, called Frosted Florals, woven with handpainted warps, using MX Fiber Reactive dyes, in twill and plain weave simultaneously using 8 shafts. There were three different rayon and silk yarns used in this yardage, giving it a dimensional surface.
The drape makes me think gown/dress, and I've been playing with a couple Burda patterns from my World of Burda magazine that comes in every month. I'm making the garments up first in a commercial fabric to fine tune the patterns and the fit. I'll add photos as I get some one to take them on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment